• Decrease font size
  • Default font size
  • Increase font size
Warrants -State Payments and Checks Issued by the State
The Treasury Division processes checks that are issued and accounted for by state agencies. This separation of duties is essential for internal controls to protect public money and for the benefit of taxpayers.

The Treasury Division records all of these warrants/checks, by warrant number and amount on its banking information system at the time of issuance. As these checks are cashed by citizens and businesses they are presented to the Treasury Division by banks for final payment. The Treasury Division compares the warrants presented against the original issuance information to assure their validity. If a warrant is presented for payment and has not been recorded on the Treasury Division information system, the warrant is then returned unpaid to the presenter bank as not a valid or authorized warrant. While the Treasury Division does not actually issue warrants the Treasury Division does approve and authorize the expenditure of State funds for settlement of these warrants.

Many different State agencies issue the actual warrants. However, the accounting information of monies representing these warrants reside in the State's accounting system which is managed by Minnesota Management & Budget. Agencies that issue payments are:

    Minnesota House of Representatives
    Minnesota Senate
    Revisor of Statutes
    Department of Revenue
    Department of Human Services
    Minnesota Management & Budget
    Teachers' Retirement Association (TRA)
    Public Employees' Retirement Association (PERA)
    Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS)

You must contact the State agency with which you are dealing. For example, if you are waiting for a tax refund you would contact the Department of Revenue; or if you are wondering about a general assistance or child support payment you would contact the Department of Human Services; if you are asking about payment for goods or services, directly contact the agency for which the goods and services were provided.

Contact the agency that may have issued the check.

You should contact the appropriate agency that would most likely have issued the actual payment. If in doubt, contact the Minnesota Management & Budget. You will be required to complete an "Affidavit of Lost Checks".

You should contact the issuing agency and make arrangements to complete an "Affidavit of Forgery".

Click here to link to Minnesota Statutes 16A.46 concerning lost or destroyed warrants

Note: If you are using Internet Explorer 6 (IE6) please upgrade your browser as IE6 does not support all features of this website.

Minnesota Management & Budget | 400 Centennial Office Building | 658 Cedar Street | Saint Paul, MN 55155
Equal Opportunity Employer